UK DIY & Gardening Sector Report | Overview & Analysis
UK DIY & Gardening Sector Report : April 2021Access report with a free trial subscription
No payment required. Free for 30 days. Cancel anytime
Period covered: 03 January – 30 January 2021
Note: Reporting periods are either one month or two months behind the current month as standard.
Stand out performance
- DIY & Gardening sales growth slowed in January, rising by 2.5% year-on-year.
- Resultantly, sale growth underperformed the three-month and 12-month averages.
- DIY & Gardening outperformed the overall sector, given its “essential” status and strong underlying consumer motivations to improve their home environments.
- Retail sales fell by 1.7% in January, year-on-year, according to the Retail Economics Retail Sales Index (value, non-seasonally adjusted, exc. Fuel).
- Growth was supported by the online channel with online household goods sales growth accelerating by 112.9% in January year-on-year.
- The data suggests that consumers are more effortlessly transitioning to lockdown shopping habits, switching to online channels which they discovered during previous lockdowns.
DIY and Gardening spend remains in positive territorySource: Retail Economics