Retail sales rose by 2.2 per cent in February, year-on-year, according to the Retail Economics Retail Sales Index (value, non-seasonally adjusted and excluding fuel). This was against a weak comparison last year when sales rose by 0.9 per cent.Overall sales improved on the previous few months, but underlying conditions remain soft. While inflation continues its descent from a peak of 3.1 per cent to 2.7 per cent, in just four months, it remains above average earnings and continues to bear down on personal finances. The easing of food and transport inflation will help those households on tight budgets, but the overall impact is marginal. We don’t expect real earnings growth to resurface until the second quarter of 2018. There is also likely to be an element of pent-up demand given a lacklustre couple of months. Within non-food, Health & Beauty and Furniture & Flooring showed respectable growth given the tough environment. As expected, cooler weather in the middle of the month supported sales of cold remedies and health products more generally.
UK Retail Sales Report
Retail Economics reports a range of retail sales indices on a monthly basis. Subscribers have access to all data (analytical reports and interactive data) and category breakdowns including online retail sales, clothing and footwear, household goods, food, DIY and gardening, consumer electricals and more.
UK Retail Sales - February 2018
Download this report with a free trial account.
The UK Retail Sales report includes:
|Summary and economic overview|
|Sales growth by category (year-on-year)|
|Online sales growth (year-on-year)|
|Sales spend by region|
|Total spend by sector|
|Average weekly spend (£m)|
|Footfall by channel|
|Summary of external retail sales sources including Office for National Statistics, British Retail Consortium, CBI, BDO, John Lewis, Visa and more|